This exploration started when I was back at home for vacations and my Mom wasn’t around for the day. I had to cook myself something and that’s when in my mind, I stumbled on the idea to make Peanut-Rice. It’s easy and quick! Here’s how to make it:
Rice, butter/ghee, turmeric, table salt, garam masala, peanuts, and other dry-fruits (optional), coriander leaves (optional)
- For two people, take about a medium bowl of rice (of course, your appetite might vary) and clean them thoroughly.
- Rinse the rice and soak it in little water for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, warm up you cauldron or any other cooking utensil of your choice, for about 2 minutes. It is preferred that there’s no moisture left in the utensil by the time this step is complete.
- Add ghee or butter to the warm cauldron and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add peanuts, cashew, almonds, resins (everything but peanuts is optional in this step) till they start browning up a bit and then add all the spices one by one. This might take about 2-3 minutes I made it with just peanuts and resins the first time, but it was yummy nevertheless.
- Add the now moist rice and stir well to mix the contents well. Add a little water to make the texture of your choice. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Keep the lid closed for a while. Remember, steam-cooking is always the best for rice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves before serving!